Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Loving God's Word

Fellowship of Companies for Christ International (FCCI)



Let us now turn our attention to Psalm 119 and see what God has to teach us about the benefits of loving His word as business leaders.

Probably the greatest need that we have as business leaders is for understanding. Whether the primary issues are business conditions, strategic business decisions, or technology development issues (as in our case), we are just little children before God, deeply and profoundly needing His wisdom. Look what Psalm 119 has to say about God's word as a source of wisdom:

18. “Open my eyes so that I may see wonderful things in your law."
24. "Your decrees are my delight and my counselors."
32. "I pursue the way of your commands, for you broaden my understanding."
45. “I will walk freely in the open place because I seek your precepts.”
66. “Teach me good judgment and discernment, for I rely on your commands.”

Verse 32 tells us that pursuing the way of God's commands leads to a broadening of our understanding. I don’t know about you, but my understanding needs to be broadened. This verse tells us that pursuing God's word will lead to a broadening of our understanding, which I desperately need.

Verse 24 amplifies that need for understanding, telling us that God's commands - His decrees - are our counselors. God's Holy Spirit will take the Scriptures and apply them to the particular problems we are facing. The Holy Spirit will counsel us through God's Scriptures.

In verse 18, we are asking God to open our eyes that we might see wonderful things in the Scriptures. As we see those wonderful things, the Scriptures become our delight as discussed in verse 24.

Verse 66 teaches us that relying on God's commands (His Scriptures) is an avenue for Him to teach us good judgment and discernment. Again, we see the Holy Spirit working through the Scriptures to teach us good judgment and discernment.

Do we lack wisdom in dealing with our business situations? Do we need understanding as to how to navigate the shoals in front of our ship? Do we need God's discernment to teach us how to choose the best? These passages teach us that God's Scriptures are the source for the understanding that we so desperately need. God's Holy Spirit takes the Word of God to teach us the things of God to transform us into the image of Christ, so that we can serve him effectively in the marketplace. Be sure to spend time in God's Word every day. It’s critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment