Friday, November 19, 2010

“An APOSTLE I KNEW”

-by Grover.

Much ado is being made about modern day apostles and prophets. We hear of new “apostolic” networks and ministries, with their “impartation meetings” and “apostolic anointings.” Everybody who is somebody in the body of Christ is now an apostle. Even the prophets are becoming apostles. Maybe the pastors are becoming prophets to fill the vacuum? Apostles are people who are sent by God to a specific people or for a specific mission. We’ve often used the word “missionary” in place of “apostle” because of the connotation. By definition, an apostle is a “sent one.”

Anyway, the Lord reminded me of a very special apostle that I spent time with early in my Christian walk. His name was Tacho. He was probably in his mid 50′s when Edith and I met him. He had been a laborer for most of his life, barely spoke English and was illiterate. He and his wife (Elfida) had been Catholic most of their lives, until meeting Jesus and being baptized in the Holy Spirit by a supernatural encounter. When Tacho was baptized in the Holy Spirit, he suddenly was able to read the Bible, both in English and in Spanish. We spent a lot of time with Tacho and Elfida, mostly in the ghettos of Mexico. I remember many times when Tacho stood up in the streets to preach the gospel, Elfida would fall to her knees and cry out to God, battling in the heavenlies, and the glory of God would fall on those filty streets. Demons screamed and left, people were healed and delivered, witches converted to Jesus, it was a glorious time. Edith and I learned through their example the role of husband and wife in a spiritual war that battled for the souls and hearts of men.

I never heard Tacho speak of anything except Jesus, even in conversations with others on the team. Jesus was his passion, his only vision, his entire life. Elfida was always right beside him, supporting, battling, praying for needs. What a powerful team that God had put together as a witness to His life and glory. These simple people had the most profound effect on our lives. They never elevated themselves in any manner, were always totally humble and poured themselves out to the poor people that they were sent to. When they weren’t on the streets, they pastored some of the little churches that met in shacks and byways. They were always feeding the poor, taking clothing and necessities, even giving food and Christmas presents to sometimes thousands of children.

Edith and I didn’t speak much Spanish, but we always knew what was being preached (in Spanish) by the Spirit. Once Tacho told me that the Spirit had told him to blow on someone and they fell down in the Spirit. He was humbled and amazed that God would use him like that. He truly did what the Spirit told him.

Nobody ever told Tacho that he was an apostle. He only thought of himself as a humble servant of the wonderful God who had saved him and filled him with His Spirit. I believe he served faithfully until he died as an unknown soldier of the Lord. Tacho was the greatest example of an apostle that I have ever personally known, though we grew up with several others who had similar callings. Tacho was the one who was of the least value to the world, but of immense value to the kingdom of God

I have no idea how many souls were touched by the Lord through this precious saint. If I had asked him, I’m sure he would have had no idea that he had touched them. . . he only knew that the Lord had touched them. I suspect that hundreds, perhaps thousands of folks had a personal encounter with Jesus as Tacho crossed their path. Jesus working in a simple, devoted, humble vessel that hardly was aware of anything other than his Lord. If I could send a message to Tacho in heaven, I would say, “Tacho, I want to be like you when I grow up!”

God bless you all, and God bless you, Tacho….

No comments:

Post a Comment