Monday, July 5, 2010

No Deceit

Frank Viola

A few weeks ago, I was arrested by a statement in 1 Peter 2:21-23. It was an aged Peter who penned these words:


To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps. He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in His mouth. When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead, He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly.
It was these words that riveted me: "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in His mouth."

For all Christians, this is an important precept of our faith. It is a vital part of Christian theology. Jesus Christ, while on His earthly journey, never sinned. But for Peter, this was no precept or doctrine. It was not a theological statement. It wasn't a creed.

It was an eye-witness observation. Peter saw and witnessed this fact first-hand. It was part of His experience.

In reading this passage, here is what I heard beneath the text:

"I lived with Him for almost four years. And in all that time, I never once saw Him sin. I watched Him carefully under pressure. And He never once folded. That is, I never once saw Him lose His temper and rail against another person. I never saw Him make a threat. I never once saw Him cuss another person out. I never once saw Him fabricate a story to get out of a squeeze. I never saw Him manipulate or deal in deceit . . . ever. I never saw Him once pick up the tools of the fallen soul. He was void of any guile. I never saw Him speak evil about others or put them in a bad light . . . to their face or behind their back. I never once saw Him harshly judge others.

And because His motives were always pure and undefiled, He never misjudged the heart-intentions of others. I never saw Him dissemble or deceive when put into a tight corner. I never saw Him make promises and then manipulate His way out of them. I never saw Him use others for His own personal ends. I never saw Him engage in double-talk, telling one person one thing and saying the opposite to others when they were not in vicinity. I never once saw Him spin what took place in the past. I never once saw Him insult others or exhibit a cruel and mean spirit.

I and the others whom He called watched Him at close-range for over three years, day in and day out. We followed Him all day long. We retired with Him. We woke with Him. We saw Him under the worst possible situations. Under the most intense pressures. He was mistreated, criticized, misunderstood, hated, abused, spoken evil against, lied about, and persecuted . . . not for any flaw in His character, but for His righteousness and the speaking of God's pure Word. And yet . . . we never saw Him react in an unkind way.

He was always full of love and compassion, even when His words were sharp toward religious oppressors. We once saw Him exhibit holy passion, but even then, no profanity fell from his lips, and He was completely in control of Himself. He was always genuine . . . honest . . . truthful . . . keeping His word and swearing to His own hurt. No one ever made Him feel insecure or threatened. He never felt the need to belittle, ridicule, or mock others. He always walked in honor and integrity. His word could be trusted. He didn't second guess others or think the worst of them. Furthermore, He was unlike the Pharisees, whose teaching was often excellent but whose example was a walking contradiction:

"The Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. Do what they teach; but don't do what they do." Instead, Jesus Christ, this incredible Man, lived what He taught. He embodied His own words. He was His own Word! That said, He taught us never to follow others for their knowledge or their gifts. It was their character that made them worthy of a following.

"A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher."
What is more, His love for me never waned . . . even though I failed Him so many times. My first-hand testimony, before men, before God, and before angels, is that this Man was blameless, having no sin. And there was no deceit found in His mouth. Ever!

By living with Him, I was changed. Though mortal and very fallen, though weak and terribly frail, He changed me at my core. Beholding this Glorious One did something to me and my brothers that we shall never recover from.

It is impossible for me not to worship Him. Not to awe at Him. Not to love Him. This One so beautiful, so beyond, so pure, so perfect, so heavenly, so full of grace and truth, and oh so loving, yet so human . . . who can resist Him!? Who cannot but follow such a Man!?"

No comments:

Post a Comment