Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Luther, Wesley, and Spurgeon on "Party Names"

"I ask that men make no reference to my name, and call themselves not Lutherans, but Christians. What is Luther?, my doctrine, I am sure, is not mine, nor have I been crucified for any one. St. Paul, in I Corinthians 1, would not allow Christians to call themselves Pauline or Petrene, but Christian. How then should I, poor, foul carcass that I am, come to have men give to the children of Christ a name derived from my worthless name? No, no, my dear friends: let us abolish all party names, and call ourselves Christians after Him whose doctrine we have." -Martin Luther (A Compendia of Luther's Theology, pg. 135, The Westminster Press, 1943.)

"Would to God that all party names, and unscriptural phrases and forms which have divided the Christian world, were forgot…that the very name (Methodist, dm) might never be mentioned more, but be buried in eternal oblivion." -John Wesley (Universal Knowledge, Vol. 9, pg. 540.)

"I look forward with pleasure to the day when there will not be a Baptist living! I hope that the Baptist name will soon perish, but let Christ's name last forever." -Charles Spurgeon (Spurgeon Memorial Library, Vol. 1, pg. 168.)

No comments:

Post a Comment