Sunday, May 22, 2011

Preaching: Nibbling at the Truth

A W Tozer

For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ. - Galatians 1:10

This is one of the marks of our modern time--that many are guilty of merely "nibbling" at the truth of the Christian gospel.

I wonder if you realize that in many ways the preaching of the Word of God is being pulled down to the level of the ignorant and spiritually obtuse; that we must tell stories and jokes and entertain and amuse in order to have a few people in the audience? We do these things that we may have some reputation and that there may be money in the treasury to meet the church bills....

In many churches Christianity has been watered down until the solution is so weak that if it were poison it would not hurt anyone, and if it were medicine it would not cure anyone! I Talk Back to the Devil, 30-31.

"Lord, don't ever let me be guilty of watering down the truth or playing to the crowds, concerned about my 'reputation' or 'money in the treasury.' Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment