Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Revival: It Requires Obedience

by A W Tozer

But why do you call Me "Lord, Lord," and not do the things which I  say? - Luke 6:46

It is my conviction that much, very much, prayer for and talk about  revival these days is wasted energy. Ignoring the confusion of  figures, I might say that it is hunger that appears to have no  object; it is dreamy wishing that is too weak to produce moral  action. It is fanaticism on a high level for, according to John  Wesley, "a fanatic is one who seeks desired ends while ignoring the  constituted means to reach those ends."...

The correction of this error is extemely difficult for it entails  more than a mere adjustment of our doctrinal beliefs; it strikes at  the whole Adam-life and requires self-abnegation, humility and cross  carrying. In short it requires obedience. And that we will do  anything to escape.

It is almost unbelievable how far we will go to avoid obeying God.  We call Jesus "Lord" and beg Him to rejuvenate our souls, but we are  careful to do not the things He says. When faced with a sin, a  confession or a moral alteration in our life, we find it much easier  to pray half a night than to obey God.  The Size of the Soul, 18-19.

"May this never be true of my life, Lord! I see the futility; I'm  convinced of the need. Now enable me by Your Spirit to live this  obedience. Amen." 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS MAN TOZER I HAVE READ MOST OF HIS WRITINGS. THANK YOU FOR THIS WEBSITE. http://revbrianrichards.com

    ReplyDelete